Wednesday, August 8, 2007

13 seconds to burn

My favorite song from my favorite local band, 19 Wheels, was titled 13 seconds to burn. The refrain goes something like this, 40 years. . .10 months. . .3 weeks. . .4 days. . .20 hours. . .six minutes and 13 seconds to burn. The song is about a guy in prison but some days it could be my theme song. I don't actually have that long until retirement, but sometimes it feels like it. Why, you ask, would I feel that way? (Or maybe you didn't ask but I'm going to tell you anyway.) Here's an example, a few weeks ago I asked that management not make a certain decision because they might have to renege on the employees transfer, they said that if they had to turn it around they would, now that the situation has arisen they are going to make me write a grievance to correct it. AARGH! When I asked why they would want to show themselves to be a bunch of liars, they got mad. Perhaps I should have said they were disingenuous, maybe that would have softened the blow. I think a quote from Ring Lardner (I think) that sums their reply, "Shut up," he explained.

No comments: