Monday, July 30, 2007

That Russian Guy

I just finished reading Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko and I thought it was excellent. I had never seen it before in my local bookstore and I prowl the shelves there quite a bit. I think that I'll need to pick up the other two books in the series, Day Watch and Twilight Watch. I also had someone loan me a copy of the Traveler by John Twelve Hawks, or something like that. I don't know if it is any good or not, but I'll give it a go and report back. (As if there is anyone else out there reading this.) I also saw a book by Neal Stephenson, but I didn't pick it up. I loved Cryptonomicon and liked Snow Crash, but the three books of the Baroque cycle disappointed me, again if anyone is out there let me know if you liked the Baroque Cycle, because maybe it was just me.

As I was writing about the other day my Union is in negotiations with management and this brought me in mind of a quote that sums up the Corporations position at the moment. "What is the good of having servants if one must treat them as human beings?" George Bernard Shaw I think. They believe that in the current economic state, anyone who has a good paying job should be so pleased that no matter what management requires of you the employee should take it with a smile and say, "Thank you, may I have another?" Well the UAW was founded on the ideals of not just higher pay and better benefits but safer, more humane work environment that would raise people up not grind them down. To all my fellow Unionists out there going through this same thing I say, Don't Let the Bastards Grind you Down!

No comments: